Would you like to sponsor a loved one?

If you are a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident or a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Indian Act, you are at least 18 years old and have sufficient financial means, you may be eligible to sponsor certain members of your family to that they can settle in Canada permanently.
If you are a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or a person registered in Canada under an Indian status according to the Indian Act, aged 18 or more, and have adequate financial resources, you may be eligible to sponsor members of your family, so they would be able to stay permanently in Canada.

You could sponsor:

  • Your spouse or common-law partner and your dependent children, established either in Canada with you or abroad. Your parents or grandparents and, if eligible, dependents.
  • Your siblings, nephews, nieces or grand-children, single and aged under 18. In some circumstances, your uncles and aunts.
  • If your sponsorship application is declined, we can represent your case before a qualified Court to appeal this decision.
  • The parents and grandparents sponsorship program is now closed since 2020. It’s intended for Canadian citizens and permanent residents who want to sponsor their parents or grandparents; therefore, these laters can obtain their permanent residence.


    1. If eligible, a citizen or permanent resident must submit an expression of interest in sponsoring his parents and/or grandparents (when the program will reopen).
    2. The people in charge will proceed to a draw among the tens of thousands of applications and select a limited amount.
    3. If you are selected, you must submit a permanent residency application for 4. In this program, the chances of being selected are usually low (10 to 20 %) because of the high demand.

    Luckily you can register each year (when the program will reopen) to increase your chances of obtaining the sponsorship. In the meantime, your parents and grandparents can still come to Canada under a super visa.
    If you are a parent or grandparent of a Canadien citizen or permanent resident, you are eligible for a parent and grandparents super visa. This super visa will allow you to visit your relatives in Canada. Each visit has to last a maximum of two years. Besides, the super visa has a higher admission rate than the regular visitor visa. Contact us to know if you are eligible for a super visa.
    Are you eligible for the sponsorship program?

    You must meet certain eligibility criteria to sponsor a family member. The immigration lawyers at Riendeau Avocats will be happy to answer all your questions.